|Rod ends and Translator (1)||09/07/04|
>> Next >>
Gear shifts have always been awkward but Im the most part I put this down to the general design as most owners comment on it. However while Geoff and Esprit Engineering was replacing my fuel tank he noticed thats the tie rod ends on the shift translator were worn. He did clean it up and re grease but suggested I change them. The improvement was very surprising so I when the weather started to improve I got the parts and replaced as suggested.
|These are third party rod ends (4 needed) avaliable from www.sjsportscars.co.uk. You can also get soft rubber boots which fit over them to hold grease, keep clean and improve future ware.|
|Fitting these boots was on the other hand much easier said than done. The first took me well over a hour. However to save you the grief follow this and you should do it in 15 minutes
Put the boot in hot water to make it more plyable.
Rub a small amount of washing up liquid on the rod end.
Put a small amount of grease in the boot.
Push on the boot as shown (This may take some time and language).
Applay a small amount of grease around the boot ends and work in
|This is the translator as seen from under the car to the rear of the gear box. You can clearly see the rod end on the gear chnage cables. These should be solid but I could move mine slightly.|
|Here is a side view from on top of the exhaust. It was more so I could get a better view of the bolts and then upper rod which fixs the translator to thr chassy to cause the pivot.|