|Suspension cleanup (Front)||03/05/03|
After being under the car to check what needed doing to the rear valance I noticed the visual state of my suspension and callipers. They were covered in surface rust and just did not look very super-car. As it was a nice sunny day and I'd just refitted my cam covers I decided to do something about it. So I jacked up the car, removed the wheels, and went at the callipers, springs and wishbones with a hand and drill brass brush. After the dirt and brake dust was removed and cleaned I simply masked up the disks and rubber work and sprayed the callipers with the red heat paint. I was not bothered about over spray on the suspension and just held a piece of card behind the calliper to reduce this. I allowed this to dry while I cleaned the other side then returned, Masked the Calliper and sprayed the rest with smooth silver hamerite as its strong and will prevent further rust from forming.
I also later decided to do the rear which can be seen here.
|Near side while cleaning with the brass brush.|
|Masking. The disc and calliper was masked with two plastic shopping bags
and tape along the edge to give a clean line (already removed). The rad pipes, chassis and
arch were protected by holding a piece of card over that section while spraying. This
seemed to be a reasonable solution and gave good results. Maybe I'll return and do the
chassis another day.
Notice the upper wishbone and spring not done. I was going to do that after in Yellow but after a test found it did not cover well.
|Off side Painted. Could be better but a still an improvement. Noticed
afterwards I still had to remove the tape from the ball joint and gaiter end.
If you look closely enough you can see a patch of yellow that on the spring from the earlier test. I dont think I let it dry enough before going over it with silver.
|Wheels fitted, You can now see the callipers!. Looks a little odd as the
suspension still needs to settle after being jacked up.
I must get some new drilled discs.